Tuesday 8 November 2011

Last summer (2010) my younger son bought me an orchid, it flowered for a number of weeks and then I was left with just the leaves.  I kept it on the kitchen window sill and every week soaked it in water for an hour just like the information label had said.  Slowly over the summer a new stem grew, and then little buds, and then some more.  I have had orchids in the past but they have never flowered again so you can imagine just how thrilled I am with this one!


Isn't it a beauty and just look at all the buds still to open.  Now I have only given it water I wonder what would happen if I fed it as well.




5 comments:

  1. You soaked it in water for a week? I have two, one of them is in bloom right now but I have never seen the flowers on the other one. My daughter looks after them for me and simply waters them sparingly once a week, never using food for them. They are not my favourite things to have indoors, I must say...

    I am giggling, the WV was bumboom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! That will teach me not to try and post when there really isn't time! I have corrected it now to 'soak for an hour' which was what I meant to put. Think it would have gone rotten if I'd soaked it permanently!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds more like it. Perhaps I should do the same with mine...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's incredible - so beautiful. My mum's best friend swears by a slice of apple pushed into the pot to get them flowering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks lovely, i have one sitting on my kitchen windowsill still in flower. It didn't flower for ages but now it has x

    ReplyDelete